You are considering buying a new feathered friend and have read the new parakeet owners guide, now, you are searching for the best bird cages for parakeets online, to ensure your new bird is happy at home! Good thinking!
There are plenty of cages to choose from based on:
- and extra features;
Just to name a few.
Because there are so many options, it can backfire and end up being a stressful experience when it shouldn’t be. Whether you’re an experienced parakeet owner looking to expand or upgrade your parakeet’s existing cage, or if this is your first feathered friend, it can make things ten times more daunting.
But with a bit of research and help from a friend or professional or maybe from an article (wink, wink), picking a cage doesn’t need to be any more complicated than it actually is! In this article, I’ve compiled some of the best cage options, as well as some tips and things you need to know when picking out a cage for your beloved feathered friend.
What To Look For When Choosing A Parakeet Cage
When choosing a cage, these are some of the top things to consider:
Additionally, there are some extra details that you have to look out for. It’s always safer to ask the store clerk or maybe other bird owners for their opinions too. Before you check out the cage you’ve settled on, make sure to consider the following qualities:
- Do NOT get a round cage. Parakeets (not just parakeets, but all birds) need their cages to have corners for them to hide in when they feel stressed.
- Avoid cages made of lead or zinc. These materials may be harmful to your feathered friend. Stainless steel cages with a non-toxic coating are way safer since budgies have a tendency to chew at their cages in an attempt to escape.
- The bars should not be too far apart. Usually, a ½ inch gap between bars is ideal. Any bigger and your parakeet may get stuck or fall through.
- Stay away from cages with doors that slide up and down. Parakeets are intelligible birds and will learn how to use their beaks to open their cage door. It’s best to stick to a door with a lock.
- Don’t settle for a cage that isn’t easily accessible. Make sure that your hand fits through the cage door so it won’t be too much of a hassle for you when you’re refilling the food station or cleaning out the cage.
- Do not get a cage that’s too small. As small as your parakeet is, they still require space for flying around and playing, as they’re very playful birds by nature. Don’t let their size mislead you into getting a small cage.
You’ll most likely be keeping this cage for many years to come, so don’t settle for anything less! It’s better to get a good cage that may be on the pricier side than to constantly have to repurchase a cheaper cage.
How To Choose The Best Cage For A Parakeet
Besides what to look for in a cage, you’ll also need help in deciding. Sometimes, the best cage for you, may not be the best cage for your parakeet. But because of all the options available, it may also be easier to find a compromise.
- Make sure to choose a size that’s big enough for your parakeet and your home. If you live in a smaller house, it may be wiser to consider a taller cage over a wider one and vice versa. Additionally, the cage must be big enough for your budgie to walk around and flap its wings.
- Function and comfort over aesthetic. Though luckily, nowadays, cages are already being made to be both aesthetically pleasing and functional. Still, if it comes down to it, it would be better to sacrifice style over your parakeet’s comfort.
- Don’t rush, and choose wisely! Cages can be pretty expensive, especially ones made with better materials or ones that come with more functions. Don’t be rush yourself too much to the point of settling for less just because you want to get cage hunting over with.
- In relation to the last one, don’t skimp out on buying a cage. Quality and craftsmanship come with a price. Keep in mind that this cage will be your bird’s home, and they will most likely spend most of their time in there.
- Besides the proper bar length, horizontal bars aren’t absolutely necessary but they are the preferred option. Because of a parakeet’s small size, they might struggle trying to latch onto and climb vertical bars.
Our Top Picks: Best Bird Cages For Parakeets
Prevue Lincoln Bird Cage
Size: (22 x 15 x 23 inches)
- Proudly made in the USA
- No assembly required
- Durable, baked enamel finish
- Three cups, two perches and one swing included
- 22" long, 15" wide and 23" with 5/8" wire spacing
The Prevue Lincoln Bird Cage is a medium-sized hanging cage with enough room for up to two parakeets to comfortably fly and play around. It has a baked enamel finish with a fully welded finish. Sturdy and comes already pre-assembled! No more fumbling with manuals.
The cage also features a wide front-access door, which makes it easy for you to reach in and easy for your birds to go out and back in. Easy cleaning because of the slide-out tray at the bottom of the cage that collects all of your parakeet’s waste, along with removable trays that make it so all mess stays inside! Features vertical bars with just the right amount of space for your budgie not to slip through.
Benefits of buying this cage:
- Prevue is a popular brand of pet supplies and this cage is recommended by vets as well.
- This birdcage has enough room for up to two parakeets to comfortably fly and play around.
- The door at the front makes it easy for you to reach in and easy for your birds to go out and back in, making cleaning easier than other cages!
- Has an enamel finish with a fully welded finish that provides durability, stability, and sturdiness.
- A wide front-access door is designed to make it easy for you to reach in and easy for your birds to go out.
- Medium includes three plastic cups, two wooden perches, and a swing!
- Easy cleaning because of the slide-out tray at the bottom of the cage that collects all of your parakeet's waste.
Prevue Hendryx Wrought Iron Flight Cage
- Versatile: The wrought iron flight cage with stand makes the perfect home for multiple small birds like...
- Easy to Clean: Our bird cage features two large front doors and six small side access nest doors. The...
- Comfortable: Inside, you’ll find four plastic feeder cups and three wood perches. This flight cage...
- High-Quality: The durable wrought iron bird cage is easy to assemble and use. Our sturdy flight cage for...
- Dimensions: This black metal bird cage is 31 inches long x 20 ½ inches wide x 53 inches high with ½...
Another great option for your bird (or birds) due to its fairly large size, it can easily accommodate multiple small birds.
From the name, flight cage, it’s vertically high enough for your parakeets to fly around to their heart’s content. If you only have one, multiple, or maybe plan on breeding your parakeets in the future, this is the cage for you!
Features & Benefits:
- Made of wrought iron with a non-toxic coating.
- Features a tray and detachable base to make cleaning extra easy! There’s also a waste guard to make sure that all the waste stays within the cage.
- Along with the cage, you’ll get three wooden perches, and four plastic cups. Plastic is one of the best materials for your pet to use because of how easy they are to disinfect and clean.
- Tall enough for multiple birds. Even with just one bird, your parakeet will surely be happy because of the abundance of space.
- It also comes with a shelf for extra storage to counterbalance the amount of space that the cage takes up.
- Has two large doors on the front of the cage, along with six smaller doors located at the side. Definitely one of the more accessible cages!
- Ideal for owners that struggle with building manuals because of it’s easy to assemble design.
Prevue Empire Bird Cage, Black Hammertone
- The Empire macaw cage is one of the largest cages available from Prevue Pet Products
- Three stainless steel, non tip bowls and one hardwood perch included
- Flathead hex bolts assemble easily and can not be un-screwed by birds
- Pull out bottom grille and tray make cleaning easy while rounded corner seed guards keep your floors...
- 46" Long, 36" Wide, 78 3/4" High with 1 3/8" wire spacing
For parakeet owners that have multiple parakeets or plan on breeding your parakeets. It also features failsafe screws for parakeets that are a little too cheeky for their own good. It is also sleekly designed, perfect for those who strive for a minimalistic feel.
Features & Benefits:
- One of the largest available cages on the market!
- Made of stainless steel with a lovely black hammertone finish. Extremely sturdy with thick bars that your parakeets definitely won’t be able to chew through.
- Features three stainless steel cups for food and water with a unique non-tip design! It also comes with a giant hardwood perch that’s enough to hold multiple birds.
- Has a push-button lock to ensure that your talented budgies won’t fiddle with the locks and get out without supervision.
- Features hex bolts instead of typical screws. It’s easy for owners to assemble, while for parakeets, they’ll be having a hard time trying to unscrew these!
- Rounded corner seed guards to control any mess your parakeet’s make. Along with a pull-out bottom tray for easier cleaning. The bottom grille is also removable for extra living space if you feel like you need it.
Yaheetech Black Bird Cage Play Top With Stand
- 🦜【Solid Wrought Iron Cage】This rolling birdcage is carefully built with wrought iron with water-...
- 🦜【Play-Top Design】On the rooftop of this parrot cage, we prepare a comfortable-to-grip wooden...
- 🦜【Spacious & Comfy】With a size of 24" L x 22" W x 35" H, this roomy bird home with a bar spacing...
- 🦜【Make Cleaning A Breeze】The four-sided seed guard catches the spilled feeds and droppings while...
- 🦜【Free To Move】The four industrial casters lend must-have mobility to this giant birdcage. With...
Another cage that’s a good option for owners that want a cage that’s as pretty as it is practical. It’s hard not to recommend this cage because it has it all!
Features & Benefits:
- A beautiful black painted wrought iron cage with polished wooden perches. Like I said, functionality plus style.
- It has a huge front door that’ll make feeding, taking your birds out, and putting them back in a breeze.
- There are also two convenient feeder doors with locks for easy feeding and refilling.
- Slide-out trays and a detachable mesh panel at the bottom to make for easy cleaning. The trays also have handles to make it easier for you to pull them out and put them back.
- Features non-marking wheels that allow for easy movement of your cage, even if you’re all by yourself. No more having to ask for a second hand.
- The interior is not only large enough for your birds to play and fly around, there’s also a playground at the top that comes with two stainless steel feeding bowls, a ladder, and a perch.
- A heavy-duty button lock that’s not only durable but also sturdy. You’ll never have to replace locks ever again.
- Comes with a bungee rope toy that’s durable to withstand countless of your bird’s bites.
Yaheetech Triple Roof Bird Cage
- 🦜【Aesthetical Bird Mansion】Special triple-A roofing design gives your birds a beautiful and sweet...
- 🦜【Comfortable For 1-2 Small/Medium Birds】With a bar spacing of 0.6” and a cage size of 19.7 L x...
- 🦜【Durable Powder-coated Metal Cage】Constructed from solid metal wires finished with...
- 🦜【Slide-out Tray】The slide-out litter tray makes cleaning a breeze. The bottom grate above the...
- 🦜【Convenient Mobility】Founded atop four 360-degree casters (2 with brakes), this birdcage can be...
A stunning cage with extra storage at the bottom and a detachable stand for those that don’t have too much space to sacrifice, or if you’d like to take the cage for travel. The stand itself is an exquisite design with a swooping hollowed-out style.
Features & Benefits:
- Made with exclusive non-toxic powder-coated steel making it safe for your birds to nibble on. The metal is also waterproof and rust-resistant.
- You’ll also get two stainless steel feeding cups and two wooden perches – plenty of room for your birds to hang around.
- Features a unique triple roof design! The cage resembles a normal house which just adds to its appeal. Not only is it light and airy, but homey too.
- A storage shelf at the bottom of the stand where you can place extra items. Great for counterbalancing the space that the stand takes up in your home.
- There’s also a removable tray and bottom grate for easier cleaning and making sure your parakeets don’t step into their waste.
- The stand is detachable! It makes it great for those who don’t like the extra space it takes up or if you’d simply like to travel with the cage. The wheels at the bottom that rotate the whole 360° make it easier to move the cage around.
Prevue Shanghai Parakeet Cage
No products found.
A birdcage known amongst bird owners for its extremely unique design and pretty color. As the name suggests, the birdcage is inspired by Asian architecture, which makes for a beautiful birdcage with just the right amount of personality. It’s perfect as a home for your parakeet and as a decorative piece for your house!
Features & Benefits:
- It comes in multiple bright colors to choose from, like yellow, green, pink, and blue. An exotic design with beautiful colors.
- A hanging bird cage, once again, perfect for smaller houses or apartments. Not only that, but it is also lighter than most metal cages which allows more versatility for where you’d like to place your cage.
- Has a color-coordinated plastic waste tray.
- Includes two plastic feeding cups, two perches, and a circular swing.
- Features a stunning decorative peak style rooftop. Perfect for owners that truly want a cage like no other. The peak style roofline also allows for easier installation of a ladder bridge toy.
Keeping Your Parakeet Happy In Its Cage
Lastly, your parakeet’s happiness is extremely important. You’ve finally decided on a cage to get but are a little confused on how to make sure your parakeet stays happy in it.
- Where you place the bird cage is just as important as the bird cage itself. You want to make sure that you don’t place it too close to any windows but still in an area of your home with enough activity so your parakeet doesn’t get lonely.
- Keep it clean. Keeping the cage clean is one of the fundamental responsibilities of owning a bird.
- Accessorize! Birds can get bored, too, so don’t forget to include plenty of toys for your birds to play with to keep themselves entertained. You’ll also have to switch them out from time to time because, just like humans, too much of the same thing can bore them.
Last update on 2022-12-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API