How much do parakeets cost at Petco? This is a question that many people want to know the answer to as Petco is a the trusted go-to store in every state.
They sell a variety of different parakeets and prices vary depending on how old they are, how big they are, and the breed you're looking for.
In this article, we will provide you with a buying guide for how much it costs to buy a pet parakeet from Petco in store and what you need to know before you bring home your first bird!
What Parakeets Do Petco Sell?
Most Petco stores sell 4 different types of parakeets, although some will vary and also host a variety of different pet bird species. The main four parakeets sold at Petco are:
- Blue Parakeets
- Green Parakeet
- Fancy Parakeet
- Quaker Parakeet (Monk Parakeet)
The blue parakeet, similar to the green parakeet is a standard budgerigar parakeet.
On this blog, you can learn all about the different color parakeets available and how their color might be reflected in their price.
However, for the most part, Petco's parakeet prices seem to be consistent.
A fancy parakeet simply refers to the color and plumage of the parakeet. However, a fancy parakeet is still the same type of bird as the green or blue parakeet.
When shopping for a parakeet at Petco, you may find an albino, lutino, or a range of different colors in the ‘fancy parakeet' section. They eat the same diet and have the same nature as a blue or green parakeet.
Quaker Parakeet (Monk Parakeet)
Quaker Parrots, also known as Monk Parakeets, are highly intelligent beautiful birds in the parrot species. They are extremely social and enjoy spending time with humans or other pets in their homes.
They are a type of parakeet as the name suggests however they are not budgies like the others.
Key Information If Buying A Quaker Parakeet At Petco
- Quakers parakeets love to mimic human sounds and words. They do very well in social environments with owners who will interact with them often.
- You need to provide Quaker parakeets with a variety of activities such as climbing perches, swings, and other enrichment opportunities.
- They are very needy and affectionate and thus, will require a secure bond with you. Especially if you intent to tame and train your bird.
- Quakers tend to take naps often during the day so it is important to provide the bird with a proper sleeping environment and nest.
- Quaker Parakeets are very intelligent birds, so they will require a lot of training and discipline to keep them from getting bored or destructive without an owner present. You should also beware that not all Quakers can be tamed and trained (due to how they have been handled as chicks).
- You must provide foraging toys as these mimic natural environment behaviors which are instinctive to your bird.
- Socialize with your quaker parakeet daily or he or she will become bored and lonely.
- If you intend to socialize often you will not need a second bird, if you work a lot, it is recommended that you buy a pair.
How Much Do Parakeets Cost At Petco?
As previously mentioned, prices typically vary based on how old the parakeet is, how big they are, and their breed. The breed of the parakeet is the most important factor in pricing.
The prices below are how much it costs to buy a pet parakeet from Petco in-store:
|Parakeet||Cost At Petco|
|Quaker Parakeet (Monk Parakeets)||$499.99|
The cheapest parakeet you can buy at Petco is a Fancy Parakeet.
The most expensive parakeet you can buy at Petco is a Quaker Parakeet.
What To Look Out For When Buying A Parakeet?
When purchasing a parakeet, make sure to get one with the following characteristics:
1) A friendly disposition. A friendly disposition is necessary to ensure that you and your parakeet can form a strong bond.
2) Healthy feathers. Healthy feathers are important because this will show you that the bird is healthy.
3) Clear eyes. Clear eyes are important because they will tell you how healthy the bird is.
4) Good weight. A bird that has a good weight is healthy and well cared for and is not ill or struggling to eat.
You can also check our New Parakeet Owners Guide for more tips when choosing your bird.
Other Costs To Consider
The cost of the bird is of course the main cost, however, it is not the only cost and probably not the most expensive purchase (unless you are buying a monk parakeet).
The biggest cost will likely be the cage. You can read all about the best cage setup and also what items to put in your cage.
Below is also a rough list of items you might need and their rough Petco costs vs. their Amazon cost.
|Petco Cost||Amazon Cost|
|Cage (small to large)||$30-$350||$45-$200|
12 x 9 x 15 – Small
54″ – Large/Flight Cage
|Perches||Prices vary.||Prices vary.|
|Toys||Prices vary.||Prices vary.|
|Parakeet First Aid Kit||Not available.||$29.97|
VSI First Aid Kit For Birds
|Out-of-cage playground||$8.99 onwards||$22.95 – $40|
Item 1 – Item 2
|Feeding trays or automatic feeders||Prices vary.||Price Comparison Here|
|Millet Spray and other treats||$3.49 – $62.99||$3.49 – $49.99|
|Cuttlefish||Not available.||$3.49 onwards|
Mango & Banana Cuttlebone 6 Pack
If this all seems quite overwhelming, do not worry – we have prepared a free downloadable new parakeet owner shopping list with the main parakeet needs covered.
Take it with you when you go to collect your feathered friend – although I am sure one of the capable assistants at Petco will assist and advise you of these things, too!
Don't Forget Your Pet Parakeet Must-Haves!
Last update on 2022-12-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API